Monday, August 29, 2011

NO-oodle

I was in a weird mood last night. Maybe I was deliriously tired after the wonderful day I had with my family. Although that makes no sense because it was a relaxing day. But sometimes being outdoors all day getting fresh air can make me tired. Anyway, I was in need of some self motivation so I yelled at myself online. I do that from time to time. I have to be my own drill Sergeant because no one else will do it for me. My husband won't. He's desperately trying to fatten me up. "Have some ice cream! Have some french fries! Eat some candy!" And he'll actually get giddy and happy when I eat something I would consider naughty or forbidden. I don't get it.

All that nonsense aside, I found something at the store the other day that I thought I would share with you. It really got me excited. I practically jumped up and down when I saw it in the store and my teenage daughter was very embarrassed. It's called the NOoodle and it's a zero calorie, zero carb noodle alternative. There are zeros up and down the nutrition facts. I took a picture, of course.



Why it shows up sideways here, I don't know, but if you are flexible enough, you can see the nutrition facts and ingredients.


I made spaghetti last week so I could try them out. I opened the package to drain them and it smelled fishy. It wasn't a pleasant smell. But I rinsed them off and set them to drain, still having high hopes that this was going to be the best thing to happen to a pasta lovin' girl like myself.

When it came down to eating it, I wasn't impressed. The noodles are soft, yet they have a sort of weird pop to them when you chew them. It's like eating caviar. You know how the eggs seem to pop when you chew them? Except I like caviar and I don't mind the pop in that case. With these noodles, however, it just didn't seem right. I ate my plate of spaghetti with NOoodles and was undecided. They don't really have a taste, so it's not that they tasted bad. I decided to try another small helping.

The verdict? I do not like them. I just couldn't get past the strange texture; that popping feeling while I chewed them was unsettling. Hopes crushed. Dreams vanished. Oh well, I'll just go back to eating spaghetti squash.

I get so excited when find alternatives to calorie dense food that I like. Most of the time I am very open to the alternative, I give it a good chance. And most of the time I say that it's pretty good, considering. But this time, I just can't go there.

I still have one more bag in the cupboard. Maybe I'll try it with a pesto sauce next time. Or bake it into a casserole, maybe? Who knows.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

if it seems too good to be true you know it will be!!!! i'm like you - love those dense carbs but unfortunately there is no good alternative. i think i might need hypnotherapy to stop craving them - i had a blow out on sunday night and my husband organised drinks with friends friday night when i got home from the gym. seriously i think he's trying to sabotage my diet! i explained to him about the lean down phase before the building phase and thinks i'm too skinny now - how can i lose anymore weight. i wish i had a hubby that shared my passion for health and fitness :(

Charlotte said...

what is with our men??? At least they love us the way we are ;)