Wednesday, April 27, 2011

being obsessed

This is a VERY interesting blog post! Click here to read!

It is titled "You need to be obsessed" and I love it in particular because everyone tells me I'm obsessed with fitness. And of course I agree, but they seem to view the "obsession" as unhealthy. Finally, I have back up! Something to prove that if you want to change your body, it needs to be an obsession. You need to make it a priority because it is a commitment. It is a lot of work, not something that happens easily or over night. It needs to be constantly in the back of your mind.

That is certainly true for me!! When I make my shopping list and menu for the week, what I make is based on what my body needs. Everything I feed my body, is with the intent to make it as strong and healthy and free of toxins as possible! Every workout I do, I do with a goal in mind, not just because I like it or have nothing better to do. It's for a purpose. There are certain sacrifices you have to make, like skipping out of dessert (no matter how many "are you sure"s you hear - or how much teasing you get) and it means getting to the workout room, even when you don't necessarily feel like it. It means, filling your plate with greens instead of heaps of mashed potatoes. It means not drinking with your buddies every weekend. It means, not getting "convenient" food at the grocery store or going through the drive through all the time. It means skipping out on the buttery popcorn at the movies.

Many people who don't have the same drive or the same goals don't understand why we health and fitness lovers do this to ourselves. As if it's just "not living". Ever heard this one, "Go on, have a piece of cake. It's not going to kill you. Live a little!" Sure, it won't kill you. Not one slice anyway. But I know that not only is overindulging on that crap bad for my body, it's going to keep me from the body I want to have (and keep). It's just not worth it. I love cake and junk food as much as the next person. I will have it now and then; a special occasion for instance or when I'm not intensely "dieting" to lean out. But the "live a little" excuse doesn't fly with me. I am living! I don't need cake to live!

I get so tired of being criticized for the way I eat and how I'm trying to teach my children follow in my footsteps. I'm not trying to pass on an obsession to them. They don't have to love it the way I do. I simply want them to know the dangers of eating unhealthy all the time and all the good that you can do for your body when you feed it the right nutrients and exercise. I am not being selfish when I take an hour out of my day to workout. Nor am I being selfish when I don't buy all the "junk" my family loves to eat. Not only am I doing what I know is good for me, I am trying hard set a good example for my children, so that they grow up with good habits. Not feed them anything they want so that 20 years down the road, they have a weight issue or a sugar addiction to deal with. And if I limit their treats to just Saturday and Sunday, like I might do for myself, it's only with their best interest in mind. Certainly I'm not depriving them anything by saying "NO" to candy and junk food Monday - Friday!

Anyway, check out the article!

No comments: