Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eat Clean changes

I can't believe it's Thursday already! WOW, where does the time go??? So far I think the week has been a success. Of course no matter how much I really want to get that damn extra incline walk in every day, it just doesn't happen. Last night would have been the perfect time for me to do so because I ended up wandering the house looking for something to occupy my time. I would sit on the couch with my husband for 5 minutes, then I'd be up looking for something I could be doing (or wanted to do), then I'd be back with him for another 5 minutes, and on and on....

I should have just went downstairs and worked out that energy. I just don't get myself sometimes. Am I THAT lazy? I would rather wander aimlessly around than just go do what I probably should be doing for my goal. Ugh.

Today my buns and hammies have a nice little soreness going on from yesterday's workout. I have to admit, I like to feel a little sore. I wasn't getting sore anymore after legs, which for me is a pretty good indicator that I'm ready for something different.

I'm not sure if I am imagining it but I think that my legs are actually firmer than they were a month ago. Even if it is only slightly and anyone else wouldn't be able to tell. I can because I examine my body in front of a mirror daily to see if I've improved anywhere. Pathetic, I know. But I am so excited for the day when I can walk past the bedroom mirror and go "WOW! That is MY body". I do like most of what I see in the mirror so I can't say that I hate the way my body looks. But there is still a level that I want to be at and I am not there yet.

I started reading the Eat-Clean Diet last night. Funny thing is, I'm already doing pretty much 95% of what that book says I need to be doing. The only things I really need to improve on are drinking more water and eating more greens.

Here's a list of what I am doing to keep my diet clean:

1)I have given up white rice and white bread years ago, that was pretty easy.

2) I rarely ever eat pasta and if I do it is always 100% whole grain. Maybe once every 2 months I might have pasta. Maybe.

3) I try to limit bread as much as possible. I know I don't have to give up bread completely but I know that it's best to limit it to 1 slice a day, 2 at most. And always sprouted grain.

4) I don't drink milk anymore, just almond milk and only in my oatmeal. I've done this for probably a year now?

5) I eat about 2 servings of fruit a day. Although I've read to get really lean (like competitors do before a contest) they cut out all fruit. I just don't think it's necessary that I do that. Obviously because I'm not a competitor.

6) I don't put sugar on anything. I use stevia in my oatmeal. Surprisingly Tosca Reno (the author of the book) did not sound like she was pro-stevia, which I thought to be weird. It's not an artificial sweetener, it's all natural. She did mention raw honey and agave nectar, which I have in my cupboard but don't use very often. Even though it's natural and agave nectar doesn't trigger insulin spikes the way sugar would, it's still a caloric sweetener.

7) And of course I stay away from the obvious bad guys: cookies, cake, pie, candy, ice cream, potato chips, etc. Although I have decided that it is not my intention to ban these foods from my diet completely for the rest of my life, I plan on only having a sliver of a treat on holidays and special occasions. I want to be healthy, but I also want to enjoy life too. I was a potato chip lover (still am deep down) so I especially need to keep that stuff out of my house. Baked goods are a little easier for me to pass up. They can be in the house, I can bake them for my family even, without needing to eat it. Usually when I bake, I make the "healthy" version of everything anyway.

8) Trans fats and hydrogenated oils - I don't even buy products that I know this stuff is in. I look at every label when I shop. I recently bought some Ritz crackers for my kids at the store, knowing there was hydrogenated oil in it. They wanted it, I caved. Sometimes I feel like I am depriving them of everything they always want at the store, even though I know it's for their own good. I don't think once every blue moon is bad - I'm still the minority in doing so. As long as I don't repeatedly and always buy this junk, I'm happy. I've also switched my kids to 100% pure maple syrup and natural peanut butter. The consistency is slightly different in both but they have learned to deal.

9) I never eat fast food. I don't even buy it for my family anymore. It's probably been a couple months since they've had it.

10) I never make creamy sauce. No cream & butter laden dishes in this house, even though they taste divine. My soups are broth and my sauces are light.

11) No more pre-packaged food or frozen entrees. Trying to stay away from preservatives and sodium laden foods. I might buy tomato sauce in the can, but only the "no salt added" versions. If they are out of it at the store, I use tomatoes and make my own. No canned veggies either. I buy canned beans though, I just rinse them real good. I wonder if that helps?

12) I do, however, buy frozen vegetables. Just the veggies, nothing with added "flavor" or sauce. I also buy frozen berries, which are perfect for putting in protein shakes and veggie/fruit blends.

13) I don't eat protein bars anymore because all they seem to be are candy bars in disguise. I would like to try Prograde Cravers. These seem to be very supported in the health and fitness community. But since they are so pricey, I haven't done so yet. I use protein powder once a day. I find it hard to get enough protein in as it is so this is a life saver. Usually it's after my workout. It's low sugar (2 g) and even so, your muscles will eat up the sugar after a workout. Plus it's whey, which is good. I know some people don't like to rely on protein powders, as it is best to get it in natural form. But I don't rely on it, I use it once a day.

14) I try not to eat cheese. I love cheese, so this is very hard for me. I don't eat it daily but I guess I average a slice every couple days. I'm just crackers about cheese!

15) Absolutely NO sugary cereals! My kids hate me for this. My teenage daughter always complains about there never being anything to eat in the house.

Keep in mind, these are all changes that I've made to my diet gradually throughout the last 3-4 years. Some of them just within the last few months. It's been a long road but then again, I had a lot of damage to repair. It's especially hard when not everyone in the house is as enthusiastic about these changes as you are. They are used to wheat bread (although they still get a loaf of white bread as a "treat" every now and then) and wheat pasta for the most part. They never complain about whole grain rice. But that is about the extent of it. They fight me on everything else. Like I said, no super awesome sugar cereal for breakfast. "And do we HAVE to eat buckwheat pancakes? Why can't you make regular pancakes?" It's always a fight. But one I feel is worth having.

What positive changes have you made in your diet? Something you never used to do but are doing now for health. I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

micah melby said...

I have just recently "Today" started eating Chia Seeds. Besides that I drink alot of energy drinks with massive amounts of caffeine but no sugar. My diet is at the mercy of my girlfriend who does all the cooking and she has no interest in being healthy so i do my best.

Charlotte said...

Oh, you have sparked my curiosity now! How do those taste and where do you buy them?

micah melby said...

They have very little taste, very neutral. I bought them at Swansons Health Foods on Broadway.