Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The debate

Exercise in a fasted state or not....

I know I just posted about this not long ago but it still haunts me. I read last night (from a trusted source) that you can burn up to 300% more fat doing this. Weight lifting or HIIT, it should be fasted. But I just don't know how  I can concentrate on lifting heavy weight with my stomach growling. I really want to give it an honest try though. Here's why:

Apparently, when you eat before you workout, you burn primarily carbs. And so you get really efficient at burning carbs. I've done this forever. Maybe this is why I can get away with eating so many carbs?? I don't know. Anyway, it goes on to say that when you exercise on an empty stomach, your body relies on fat for energy, not carbs that would be readily available from your last meal.

That makes me ponder something: how is it that when you exercise longer than an hour, your body starts to eat away at your muscles for energy, but when you haven't eaten for hours and you exercise, your body goes for fat as fuel? I don't understand this because if muscle is the easiest source of energy after an hour, once your carbs have been depleted, wouldn't it make sense that the same is true of fasted exercising??

I'm confused. And so I need to read more about this.

No comments: