Friday, April 1, 2011

It's Friday

I admire you people who workout first thing in the morning. I have a hard enough time just being upright for the first hour. But to roll out of bed and hit the gym right away is impressive. I usually don't workout until around 9 or 10 am, this gives me a chance to wake up, eat, let my food settle, feed Emma and get her started on something that will occupy her for an hour, check email/FB/etc. and that is my morning.

I honestly don't think I would be as fit as I am if I had a job outside the home. I would probably be a lot more fit if the internet didn't exist! But it's scary to think about because I'm not an early morning exerciser. I don't mind working out in the evening but sometimes I get tired and it's easier to skip them then. Plus I think it keeps me awake. I did arms two days ago before bed and I slept horribly that night. I think the two go hand in hand. So if I have to get a job outside the home someday......yikes!

Also I wanted to mention that the mini trampoline is great. The kids are always begging to go on it but since it's not a "toy" I don't let them unless I am there to watch. We had a fun little fitness night two nights ago where the kids were all downstairs as I did my workout. They took turns on the treadmill, weight bench and trampoline. It was so fun for them they have been asking to do it again! In fact, as soon as we were done that night Hanna said, "Can we do this again tomorrow night?" and then Eden said, "yeah, let's do it EVERY night!". I love love love when my kids get excited about exercise. I am really hoping that it becomes a natural part of their lives so they never have to struggle with being overweight.

Truth be told, Hanna is already struggling and it's painful to watch. It never used to bother her (or at least she never said anything) but now she is starting to always want to cover her belly, wear baggy sweatshirts and says "she's fat" on a regular basis. My heart just aches for her when she says that. So I've told her that she needs to start coming downstairs with me at night and running on the treadmill. And I told her I would train her with weights 3 times per week also. The only problem so far is the amount of homework she always has. I am going to help her get into much better shape by summer's end.

Of course I love her just the way she is and I wouldn't make her lose weight because I want her to be thinner, but I am concerned for her health later on. And I'm sure that the longer she waits to get it under control the harder it will become. At the beginning of the year when I took her to the doctor she said that Hanna was fine as long as she didn't gain any more weight. Well, since then she has gained 11 more pounds. And I feel horrible as a mother. I should have been watching her more closely, making her eat healthier, making her exercise.

Seeing mom's passion for fitness and nutrition and definitely rubbed off on my younger two girls but so far it hasn't really impacted Hanna. I don't know if she really cares. I thought she'd be interested in weight lifting at school but when I brought it up she said she would never do that because she didn't want to be the only girl. That's sad. However, I probably would've felt the same way when I was her age.

It's hard enough just to keep myself motivated some days, adding another person or two (my mother also wants me to train her) is going to be challenging. But I want so much for both of them to be in better shape because I love them and want them to be happier and healthier, so I will do what I can. I'm no professional but I do have a pretty good foundation. I've been able to do it for myself so the least I can do is share my knowledge and help out my family.

Have a great weekend everyone! Get inspired! Inspire others! Being fit is a lifestyle!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

hey there lovetogetlean!!!!! ive joined - frugalmama (inappropriate name but i used it for something else and i know i'll remember it coz my name was already taken !! i left you you a short message. have a goodie (around these parts that means have a good weekend !!)

Carmen said...

I want you to know you completely inspire me! I think everything you do, being a fanastic mother, a wonderful wife, and having the passion for staying healthy and fit is amazing!