Sunday, April 3, 2011

hiccup

I caved. I don't know what to say for myself except that I am human.

I ate potato chips last night. First time in almost 3 months that I've eaten naughty food like that. And you know what? It tasted DAMN good! I am a little disappointed that I couldn't at least wait until my "12 weeks" was up but oh well. I don't expect the setback to be very significant.

It was actually FUN to sit on the couch watching a movie with my husband and child and join in on the bag of potato chips. Usually I politely decline their constant offers of chips and candy. This time, however, I gave in to my craving. I didn't pig out though. I ate them slooooooowly and savored the taste.

I read that when you give up junk food and sugar, if you can make it two weeks, you almost never crave it anymore. I personally don't think that is entirely true. Sure, it does get easier to live without it, but I think that is simply because if you go for an extended period of time without it, you get this sense of pride in yourself for being able to handle it. Then, you don't want to go and ruin it. At least that's how I feel. I still have cravings. Sometimes, they are really bad. But mostly they are tolerable. There was a week not too long ago when all I wanted to do was eat mountains of chocolate. I honestly don't know how I got past that week without giving in. This potato chip craving last night was relatively mild in comparison but I just wanted a tiny piece of my "old" life back. Sometimes, I wish that I wouldn't care so much about what my body looked like and just ate freely like I used to. I know that I will never be that way again. I guess looking at it in a health perspective, that's a good thing. I could go back to eating what I wanted and probably not look a whole lot different in my clothes. I think I was always able to metabolize food quickly. But in a swimsuit.....yuk.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my moment of weakness with you ;)

Tomorrow, I plan on posting my food diary for the past week. I have meticulously documented EVERYTHING I've eaten for an entire week, including calories and macronutrient ratios. If my calculations are correct, theoretically I should have lost a pound the way it's looking so far (assuming I don't pig out today - which I don't expect to happen). I certainly don't feel as if I've lost a pound. But we'll see when I step on the scale and take measurements tomorrow.

Incidentally, I don't need to lose weight but how else am I going to get the last of the jiggle of my thighs????? It seems as though fat loss is the only answer. And at 13% bodyfat, there is still some there to lose.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hey charlotte, i know how you feel! we had a barby last night and i normally cook extra steak and chicken for me for the net few days meals (no oil - just wack it on the grill and it gets a nice smokey flavour you just cant get on a frypan). the steak i get locally is fantastic - no fat, 2" thick cut of rump done medium rare - heaven - but only 100g !!!). Anyhow, i did sausages as well and just HAD to have sausage on a roll with tomato sauce - not one, but 2 !!! then i just HAD to have the cinnamon sultana cupcakes i made for the kids school lunchboxes and a cuppa. You know what? - i felt crap afterwards and i woke up this morning and i felt like i had been drinking last night!!!! LESSON LEARNED !!
Back to clean eaing today. cant wait to see your food diary - i'm such a nosey person, hehehe !