Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 4 of 14

As I blogged about yesterday, the no carb day really hit me hard yesterday. So much that I had to add a serving in for 2 of my meals. After, I felt more like myself. NO diet is worth feeling that way no matter how good or how brief. So, for the remainder of my two weeks, I will still be cycling carbs, I will just add one serving to breakfast and one serving to lunch on my low days. That way, I'm only adding an extra 140 calories (approx.) per day and it will still keep my low calorie days low. I'm expecting great things!

Also, I just wanted to clarify that I typically am against any sort of fast diet or crash diet or low carb diet or anything of that nature. I am on a "diet" right now but I know that I'm not negatively affecting my metabolism. By bringing my calories up every 3rd day, I avoid the "starvation response" - in which the body holds onto fat. Being on a low calorie diet for an extended period of time, or taking in too few calories for your body's needs will make your metabolism slow and sluggish. My "diet" is only 2 weeks and by cycling those calorie intakes, I can safely keep my calorie levels lower than normal. By adding a few carbs to the low days, I could potentially keep this up for 12 weeks if I needed to. I don't want to think too far ahead though. I'm just taking it one day at a time and I will judge what has to be done once these two weeks are up.

Today, my workout was hard. It started good but I petered out fast the second half. I had to end my last circuit with 2 sets left because I was just exhausted. That is due to where I am in my cycle (day 15). Around days 14 & 15 I am usually crabbier, more tired and hungry anyway. That also contributed to my low energy yesterday as well. It's nice to really know your body so that when you have those days where you just feel a little off, you know why. Then you are less likely to freak out about it, knowing it's only a few days until you feel normal again. I used to beat myself up for this sort of thing before I knew how big of a part my hormones played in this game. Now, I can move on without guilt.

This is a beautiful day and I'm sure I will be spending some time outside soaking up the sun and going for walks...a great way to burn a little extra calories! I hope you all have a marvelous day!

No comments: