Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ready for a rant?

This has been on my mind for a while and I just want to voice an opinion about it. The topic? Pills, potions, diet aids, fat burners, juices and the like. I've used some in the past. Have they helped me reach my goals? Absolutely not.

Everybody wants to believe there is something out there that will deliver fast and easy fat loss. I've certainly been guilty of it. We are drawn into the advertising that promises to solve our weight problems with little to no effort on our part. "DRINK THIS" "TAKE THIS PILL" "EAT THIS MIRACLE BERRY" and that's all you need to do. Continue to live your lifestyle of poor nutrition choices and don't bother breaking a sweat exercising because we've found a miracle in a bottle! And we believe it! Because we want to. Sometimes we are so frustrated with dieting the wrong way that we feel like we have to try everything that is out there. And so we spend more and more money on crap that doesn't work. When all we really need is good old fashioned hard work.

Do you really believe that the flawless model on the infomercial or magazine ad actually got the body she has from whatever she is endorsing? OR...do you think she got paid lots of $$$$ to be a model and sell a product? I'm going to go with the latter.

Why should we spend so much money needlessly on stuff that is supposed to be SO GOOD for us when all we really need to do is go to our local grocery store, buy fresh produce and prepare it ourselves. Whoa.....prepare it ourselves? That's just too much work.

But wouldn't it be cool if we could just swallow some magic juju and POOF! fat loss? Sure! It would be awesome as hell! But, there IS NO SUCH JUJU! Come on, people. Stop wasting your money. Just pick up some dumbbells, sweat and workout hard most days, eat right and save money. It IS work. Sorry. But if you want it, you have to WORK and EARN it!!

And what about people who use said products and claim it's the best thing ever and has helped them immensely, and it does the laundry too? Well, I say....placebo effect. If you believe strongly enough that eating chocolate morning noon and night will help you lose weight, it probably will. Power of the mind. Because if something were really (I mean really) that effective, it would work for everyone.

'nuf said

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go kick my own ass in my "gym" and then drink a spinach smoothie. You magic juju swallowers come see me in 6 months and we will compare body fat, okie dokie? ;)

No comments: