Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rest day

I typically welcome my one rest day each week with open arms, but sometimes it can be a mental struggle. Especially when I don't really have anything in particular planned so I'm free to roam the house wondering what to do. I might think to myself that I should do something that resembles exercise. But I have to remind myself that it's just as important to give my body the rest it needs, as it is to train it. As long as I can get some active rest, like a walk or maybe a little playtime with the kids, it's not so bad. It's all about keeping busy.

I have been longing to go for walks outside in the warm spring air. The only problem is, we aren't having much warm spring air this year. This entire week has been grey and rainy and cold. Very cold actually. Last year at this time my irises were all blooming and we were enjoying the sunshine in shorts and sundresses. Now, my irises are barely out of the ground! I want to move out of this area so bad. And I feel guilty about it too because I was the one who desperately wanted to move back. But I was an ocean away from my family and missed them terribly. Now I'm thinking, life is just to short to stay in an area where you don't feel like you can enjoy being outdoors. Being someone who likes being active, going for bike rides or hikes, picnics, etc., living in a decent climate is pretty important.

My dream location would be somewhere tropical. A house on the beach with palm trees and a view. Isn't that everyone's dream? I like to watch HGTV when they show House Hunter's International. Last night they were looking on the Seychelles and I tell you what, that looks like the most beautiful place on earth with the perfect climate. I could definitely see myself happy there! I love that show but watching those people living my dream while I wither away in this prehistoric lake bed, is quite depressing.

But, since I'm in good old North Dakota, I can enjoy what I came back for....being with my family. And tonight, I plan on having sushi with my sister and mother at our favorite place. And because it will be my "cheat" for the week, I don't have to feel guilty about the white rice. I might even have a glass of wine!

Happy Saturday!

No comments: